PERTHSHIRE, THE HEART OF SCOTLAND
Things To Do
From majestic munros, rocky rivers and wild forests to pretty villages, historic castles and Scotland’s newest city, Perthshire is the perfect place, no matter what you like to do.
Perthshire is recognised globally for its food and drink, with an abundance of soft fruits, whisky and gin, farm produce, fresh fish, cheeses and hand-made chocolates. Many world-class restaurants have located here and there are numerous festivals to celebrate our bounty.
Whether you’re a nature-lover, photographer, sport-lover, shopper, spa fan or you simply love to unwind with a great book, a glass of wine and a beautiful view, Perthshire has it all.
We’re always happy to share our personal recommendations for places to go and things to do. In the meantime, here are just some of the attractions in our wonderful area.
- The Kirkstyle Inn, Dunning
- Jon and Fernanda’s Restaurant, Auchterarder
- Delivino’s, Auchterarder
- Max & Ben’s Bistro, Auchterarder Gleneagles Hotel bars and restaurants
- Perth Farmers’ Market – on the first Saturday of every month
- Tullibardine Distillery, Blackford
- Glenturret Distillery, Crieff
- Strathearn Distillery, Methven
- Deanston Distillery and Visitor Centre, Doune
- Dewars Distillery, Aberfeldy
Perthshire is famed for its multitude of walks, including several munros (mountains over 3000 feet), corbetts (2500 – 3000 feet) and the picturesque Ochil Hills. Whether you like a forest stroll, a moorland ramble or a mountain hike, there’s so much choice. The Munro Map, Walk Highlands and Forestry and Land Scotland websites are packed with useful information.
We’re practically a stone’s throw (or perhaps a drive and a 5 iron) away from some of the best-loved golf courses in the world:
- The four Gleneagles courses – this legendary venue has been played by the world’s greatest golfers, hosting the Ryder Cup 2014 and Solheim Cup 2019.
- Auchterarder Golf Course – an attractive parkland course with views of the Ochil Hills and Gleneagles.
- Crieff Golf Club – built on gently sloping parkland, these courses provide a fair but challenging experience for all levels of golfer.
- Dunning Golf Club – our local, friendly, scenic golf course in the heart of Dunning village.
- Murrayshall Golf – home to the 18-hole Murrayshall and 10-hole Lynedoch courses, providing an enjoyable challenge for guests and visiting golfers.
- North Inch Golf Course – one of the world’s oldest golfing venues, on the North Inch parkland on the banks of the River Tay, Perth.
- Perth Playhouse Cinema
- Perth Theatre and Concert Hall
- Huntingtower Castle – Mary Queen of Scots spent part of her honeymoon in this compact but fascinating castle
- Innerpeffray Library – Scotland’s first public lending library and now a fascinating visitor experience
- Perthshire Open Studios – a chance to visit Perthshire’s artists at their place of work, and buy one-off pieces
- The Enchanted Forest – pioneering sound and light shows set in Faskally Wood near Pitlochry
- Perth Winter Festival – events from Hallowe’en to Chinese New Year
- Perth’s Shop Local Guide
Heart 200 is a new touring route of approximately 200 miles around Perth, Stirling, The Trossachs and Highland Perthshire. It crosses the A9 just south of Gleneagles and is a popular route with day-trippers or anyone passing through this beautiful area.
Many visitors love to stay with us on their way to explore the iconic North Coast 500 driving route, a gateway to white-sand beaches, sparkling seas, historic sites and some of the twistiest and most beautiful roads you’ll ever see.